Neoen and Prokon sign a PPA with Equinix in Finland for at least 30 MW of wind energy

It is Neoen’s seventh green energy contract in Finland since 2018.

windmills
Photo by Brett Sayles on Pexels.com
  • Neoen and Prokon will supply Equinix with 85% of the green energy and guarantees of origin to be produced by their future Björkliden wind farm
  • Neoen owns an 80% stake in the project, the remaining 20% being owned by Prokon
  • Construction is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning in 2024

Neoen (Euronext Paris: NEOEN) announces the signing at the end of December 2021 of a new power purchase agreement (PPA) for at least 30 MW of green energy in Finland. The PPA was awarded as a result of the competitive tender run by Equinix.

Read More:

Under the 10-year agreement, Equinix will purchase 85% of the green energy and guarantees of origin produced by the Björkliden wind farm in Finland. Located in the municipality of Närpes, in the western region of Ostrobothnia, the wind farm will have seven wind turbines, with a total capacity of at least 35 MW. Neoen owns an 80% stake in the project, the remaining 20% being owned by Prokon, who co-developed this project with Neoen. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning in 2024.

The PPA is partially indexed to market prices. It is Neoen’s seventh green energy contract in Finland since 2018.

Björkliden is located just a few kilometers from Neoen’s Hedet wind farm, which has a capacity of 81 MW and was commissioned at the start of 2020. Alongside the Mutkalampi wind farm, which is currently under construction and will have a capacity of 404 MW, it will be Neoen’s third wind farm in Finland.

Sami Holopainen, Managing Director, Finland at Equinix, said: “It is vital companies work together to ensure the digital footprint of our global economy is as sustainable as possible. At Equinix, we are committed to achieving our long-term goal of 100% clean and renewable energy across our portfolio of over 235 data centers around the world. With the support of Neoen and Prokon in Finland, we are one step further to accomplishing that and our pledge to become climate neutral globally by 2030 and achieve our science-based targets.”

Jerri Loikkanen, Managing Director of Neoen Finland, commented: “We are delighted to see global companies like Equinix committing to Finnish wind power and honored that they have selected Neoen to provide renewable energy to the five leading data centers Equinix operates in the country. Neoen’s seventh long-term power purchase agreement in Finland highlights our significant role in pushing carbon neutrality in the country.”

Xavier Barbaro, CEO and Chairman of Neoen concluded: “I would like to congratulate our teams in Finland for this new achievement. We are delighted to continue growing our presence in Finland, now our third most important country. This new contract demonstrates our ability to win tenders from companies like Equinix who are seeking to secure a supply of renewable energy. This market is key for Neoen and one of the biggest growth areas for our company.”


Source: Neoen S.A.

Market: Wind Energy Stocks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.